Let's start your profitable blog! This guide will walk you step by step on how to create a blog from start to finish.
Okay, you want to start a blog. But you KNOW there is tons of, well, crap out there that doesn't really help you go from blank slate to a real, profitable, thriving blog. There are lots of posts on how to blog, strategies and tips on growing your following, and guides on blogging. But what about a guide, from start to finish, on how to start a profitable lifestyle blog from scratch? This post is designed to be a definitive guide on creating a money making lifestyle blog on your own, in as easily as 15 minutes. You can have a professional looking blog that brings in revenue. Just take me for example! A little bit about me, I started my blog back in 2011, after I fell 20 feet rock climbing. I started it as a way to connect with others online and share my story. Now, I work full time as a blogger, making triple than I ever did working for someone else (and in my corporate job). I have flexible hours and I was able to move myself (and my husband) to Germany so we could travel and I could keep the blog! So, it's safe to say blogging has changed my life. That's why I want to share with you today on how to start a profitable blog.
How to Start A Profitable Lifestyle Blog From ScratchFirst, you need a website. I have tried them all: Blogger, Squarespace, and Wordpress (and a few in between) and I feel that Wordpress is the best bet for a beautiful, seamless, and easy to use blog. It's very easy to change the design, focus, or add and remove tools that you need. You can read my comparison of all three here. Since switching to Wordpress, I just feel like processes are much much easier. I also love my design and you can't beat the plugins (here are all the tools I use for my blog.)
So, what is a "lifestyle" blog?A lifestyle blog is one that focuses on a myriad of subjects. You don't necessarily stick to one niche, you blog about multiple subjects. Lots of people have said this doesn't work as a profitable blog but I can tell you they are just plain wrong. As long as you are creating valuable content and you have focus (meaning you pick a few subjects to delve into that can range from your life to travel to blogging to health to everything in between) you can succeed. It can be defined as, "A lifestyle blogger creates content inspired and curated from their personal interests and daily activities." - Media Kix. It's a website primarily focusing on the blogger's life and is the extension of the writer, herself (or himself of course!). There are a lot of ways to go about this, but the general idea for a lifestyle blog is one that follows you as a person. Therefore, you are the brand. You control the content and you create the rules. Pretty awesome, right?
How do you start a lifestyle blog from scratch?Click here to start a blog on Wordpress, then follow the step-by-step instructions below to learn how. If you're like me, you want to start a blog cheaply, but you also want customer support. SiteGround is the answer, no question. You can chat with them day and night if you ever have any issues or need support. I am blown away by the service and support I receive. Oh, and plans start at just $3.95 a month, which is the cheapest out there! While I know $3.95 is an expense, this is guaranteeing that you own your content, and you're able to easily make this back. Once you sign up, you will also need to buy a domain name (SiteGround will walk you through this step by step!) I believe you do need to spend just a small amount in order to make money. And that's what this guide is here for! Through blogging I am able to travel around the world and do things I never thought possible. Blogging has opened so many doors for me, and I wish I would have known about these secrets first, so that I could have started a profitable blog from the start. You can start a blog on free platforms like Blogger but here's the deal: you don't own your content. And worse still, if something goes awry with your blog, there is nothing that can help you. A writer recently lost decades of work when his site crashed. The problem with Blogger is that you don't have control over your site. So while you may think you want the cheaper option, I guarantee using Wordpress will save you time and hassle. Yes, there are other web hosting companies out there. But you want one that will be the fastest and have the most support. Here are the facts about SiteGround:
- Loads faster than all other web hosts. This is EXTREMELY important. Let's say someone new comes to your site- but it doesn't load. They click away immediately!
- Hack protection. You also have to play it safe with your site. SiteGround has built in security to make sure no one messes with your site. SiteGround were the pioneers in applying effective account isolation mechanisms to the shared hosting environment.
- Website caching is automatic. When your site starts getting some LOTS of traffic, caching is a must (basically refreshing the page to show what's new). No host can handle a spike without it. They do the caching for you. Meaning, you don't even have to worry or think about it.
- Free site transfer. Are you on another site like Blogger or Squarespace (like I was?!) good news. They transfer your site for you. And they take the headache out of it. Y'all, people pay upwards of $500 for site transfers. For real.
- They've been around the block for over 10 years. They are here to stay.
- Backups. They back up your site on the regular to make sure that all your content is safe.
- But my favorite feature is the support. I can chat with knowledgeable support and fix your problem in 5 minutes or less. I can't tell you the number of sleepless hours this saved me (and believe me, I spent many up working on Blogger issues.)
- Here's the biggest thing... it's so cool I almost don't want to tell you...but I will! If you have an issue with your Wordpress site, not even SiteGround, they will help you. BOOM.
- There are REAL PEOPLE answering your questions round the clock.